Funding Sources

Funding Sources for Disability Modifications

We work with a multitude of different funding sources in Chicago and Northern Illinois and would like to share some of those organizations and options with you. The following is a guide to resources that may be able to help you. Specific details can only be obtained by contacting the individual organization directly.

City of Chicago – Home Repairs for Accessible and Independent Living (H-Rail): The City of Chicago through the Department of Housing provides home improvements at no cost to qualified senior citizens age 60 and over, who are residents of Chicago. Homeowners and renters are encouraged to apply.

For further information, please call (312) 742-0014 or visit

City of Chicago – Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) Home Mod Program: The HomeMod Program is run by the Mayor’s Office and enables people with disabilities of low to moderate income to have their homes and apartments modified for accessibility purposes. Eligibility mandates that the person with a disability is a Chicago resident, 59 years of age or younger, with certain income specifications.

For more information, please call (312) 743-1523or (312) 744-7833 (TTY) or visit

Crime Victims Compensation Program: Sponsored by the Illinois Attorney General’s Office, the victim and or/dependent of a violent crime can apply for financial assistance within one year of the date of injury. Other restrictions may apply.

For more information, please call 1-800-288-3368 or visit

Department of Health and Family Services (HFS)The Illinois Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) administers the Medicaid program, providing health care assistance for qualified adults and children. In some cases, Medicaid will a pay for home medical equipment, including lifts that do not require home modifications.

Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC): Administered by the University of Illinois, this program can provide accessibility modifications for certain individuals under the age of 21 with certain chronic physical disabilities and health impairments.

For more information, please call the Chicago office at 312-996-6380 or visit Individual offices are shown below:

Chicago South Regional Office
1309 S. Halsted Street
3rd Floor, Suite 307
Chicago, IL 60607-5021
Phone: 312-433-4100
TDD : 312-433-4108
FAX : 312-433-4107
Toll-Free: 800-905-9995
North Cook Regional Office
8609 Bryn Mawr
Suite 202
Chicago, IL 60631-3524
Phone: 773-444-0043
TDD : 773-444-0178
FAX : 773-444-0176
Toll-Free: 800-924-0623
Chicago North Regional Office
1919 W. Taylor Street
Room 701, M/C 618
Chicago, IL 60612-7254
Phone: 312-996-2723
TDD : 312-996-7584
FAX : 312-996-7820
Toll-Free: 800-425-1068
South Cook Regional Office
6160 S. East Avenue
Suite 400
Hodgkins, IL 60525-4125
Phone: 708-482-0633
TDD : 708-482-1103
FAX : 708-482-2629
Toll-Free: 800-425-5454
DuPage Regional Office
1919 S. Highland Ave
Suite 320A
Lombard, IL 60148
Phone: 630-652-8900
TDD : 630-424-0553
FAX : 630-424-0669
Toll Free: 800-924-0623
Rockford Regional Office
State Regional Office Building
4302 North Main Street
Room #106
Rockford, IL, 61103-1209
Phone: 815-987-7571
Toll-free within Illinois:800-651-9319
FAX 815-987-7891
TDD 815-987-7995

Illinois Department of Human Services: Located through the state serving people with disabilities from ages 18-59. Government funding for home modifications through the Department of Rehab Services Department of Human Services Office of Rehabilitation Services (ORS) is available for qualifying individuals

Please visit or call any of the following local offices:

Arlington Heights ORS Office
715 W Algonquin Rd, Suite A
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Phone: (847) 758-3483
TTY: (847) 758-3482
Fax: (847) 758-3473
Aurora ORS Office
888 S Edgelawn Dr, Suite 1771
Aurora, IL 60506
Phone: (630) 892-7417
TTY: (630) 892-7702
Fax: (630) 892-7461
Avalon Park ORS Office
8840 S Stony Island
Chicago, IL 60617
Phone: (773) 768-6700
TTY: (773) 768-6700
Fax: (773) 768-0467
Note: This office only provides Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services.
Chicago Heights ORS Office
1010 Dixie Highway, 4th Floor
Chicago Heights, IL 60411
Phone: (708) 709-3333
TTY: (708) 709-3337
Fax: (708) 709-3328
Dekalb ORS Office
1330 Oakwood Dr
Dekalb, IL 60115
Phone: (815) 758-2471
TTY: (815) 758-2471
Fax: (815) 758-6942
Downers Grove ORS Office
2901 Finley Ave, Suite 109
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Phone: (630) 495-0500
TTY: (630) 495-0500
Fax: (630) 495-9089
Elgin ORS Office
452 N. McLean Blvd, 2nd floor
Elgin, IL 60123
Phone: (847) 931-2360
TTY: (847) 931-2380
Fax: (847) 931-2379
Evergreen Park ORS Office
9730 S Western Ave, Suite 612
Evergreen Park, IL 60642
Phone: (708) 857-2350
TTY: (708) 857-2359
Fax: (708) 857-2391
Ford City ORS Office
7600 S Pulaski Rd
Chicago, IL 60652
Phone: (773) 838-5745
TTY: (773) 838-5745
Fax: (773) 838-5748
Hiawatha ORS Office
6200 N Hiawatha Ave, Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60646
Phone: (773) 794-4800
TTY: (773) 794-4830
Fax: (773) 794-4833
ICRE Wood ORS Office
1151 S Wood St
Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (312) 633-3570
TTY: (312) 633-3570
Fax: (312) 633-3575
Illinois Institute of Technology DRS Office
10 W 35th St, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60616
Phone: (312) 328-2900
TTY: (312) 328-2710
Fax: (312) 328-2940
Joliet ORS Office
1617 W Jefferson St
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: (815) 730-4200
TTY: (815) 730-4200
Fax: (815) 730-4224
Kankakee ORS Office
1780 W Merchant Ave
Kankakee, IL 60901
Phone: (815) 939-4422
TTY: (815) 939-4422
Fax: (815) 939-4453
Milwaukee Avenue ORS Office
1279 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: (773) 292-4400
TTY: (773) 292-4400
Fax: (773) 292-4432
North Pulaski ORS Office
743 N Pulaski Road
Chicago, IL 60624
Phone: (773) 638-3070
TTY: (773) 638-3260
Fax: (773) 638-3977
Westchester ORS Office
2215 Enterprise Drive
Westchester, IL 60154
Phone: (708) 409-8800
TTY: (708) 472-0963
Fax: (708) 409-8831
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago ORS Office
326 W Illinois, 1st Floor
Chicago, IL 60610
Phone: (312) 908-2631
TTY: (312) 908-6163
Fax: (312) 908-3849
South Pulaski ORS Office
8600 S Pulaski Rd
Chicago, IL 60652
Phone: (773) 838-5660
TTY: (773) 838-5660
Fax: (773) 838-5693
Waukegan ORS Office
2740 W Grand Ave
Waukegan, IL 60085
Phone: (847) 244-8474
TTY: (847) 244-8474
Fax: (847) 244-8449

Independent Living CentersThe Illinois Network of Centers for Independent Living, the statewide association representing the 23 Centers for Independent Living (CIL) in Illinois. INCIL is an authoritative source of information about the accomplishments and needs of Illinois CILs and about issues most critical to promoting independent living for all persons with disabilities.

For more information, please visit or call one of your local centers:

Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago
614 West Roosevelt
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone: 312-253-7000
Fax: 312-253-7001
TTY: 312-253-7002
Options Center for Independent Living
61 Meadowview Center
Kankakee, IL 60901
Phone: (815) 936-0100
Fax: (815) 936-0117
TTY: (815) 936-0132
DuPage Center for Independent Living
739 Roosevelt Rd. Building 8, #109
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Phone: 630-469-2300
Fax: 630-469-2606
TTY: 630-469-2300
Progress CIL
7521 Madison St.
Forest Park , IL 60130
Phone: 708-209-1500
Fax: 708-209-1735
TTY: 708-209-1826
Fox River Valley CIL
730 B.W. Chicago St.
Elgin, IL 60123
Phone: 847-695-5818
Fax: 847-695-5892
TTY: 847-695-5868
Will-Grundy Center for Independent Living
2415-A W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: 815-729-0162
Fax: 8I5-729-3697
TTY: 815-729-2085
Lake County Center For Independent Living
377 North Seymour Avenue
Mundelein, IL 60060
Phone: (847) 949-4440
Fax: (847) 949-4445
TTY: (847) 949-4440



The Fair Housing Act of 1968 states that tenants have the right to make reasonable modifications to their apartments, with the permission of the Landlord, but at the expense of the tenant.

Les Turner Foundation: The Les Turner ALS Foundation is the only independent publicly supported non-profit organization in the Chicago-area devoted solely to the treatment and elimination of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), better known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

For further information, please visit


Long-Term Care Insurance:

Some long-term care insurance policies may cover various modifications and equipment. Check your individual policy.



Available to persons over the age of 65, this agency does not pay for home modifications.

National MS Society – Greater Illinois Chapter:
Grants enable recipients with MS to obtain funding for home modifications. For information, visit

Northeastern Illinois Area Agency on AgingThe Area Agency plans and coordinates a comprehensive network of services for persons 60+ in the fastest growing areas in the state: DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Kankakee, Lake, McHenry and Will Counties

For more information, visit or call one of the following local offices:
DuPage County Department of Human Services Senior Services Division
421 N. County Farm Road
Wheaton, Illinois 60187
Fax: 630-682-7382
Lake County Catholic Charities
116 N. Lincoln Avenue
Round Lake, Illinois 60073
Fax: 847-546-7114
Grundy County Health Department, Senior Programs Unit
1320 Union Street
Morris, Illinois 60450
Fax: 815-941-2389
McHenry County Senior Services Associates
3519 N. Richmond Road
McHenry, Illinois 60050
Fax: 815-344-3593
Kane County Senior Services Associates
101 S. Grove Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
Fax: 847-741-2163
Northeastern Illinois Area Agency on Aging
245 West Roosevelt Rd., Bldg. # 6, Suites 41-43
West Chicago, IL 60185
Fax: 630-293-7488
Kankakee County:
Catholic Charities Diocese of Joliet
270 N. Schuyler
Kankakee, Illinois 60901
Fax: 815-933-4601
Will County Senior Services Center
251 N. Center Street
Joliet, Illinois 60435
Fax: 815-740-4218
Kendall County Senior Services Associates
518 Countryside Center
Yorkville, Illinois 60560
Fax: 630-553-6979

Money Follows The Person Program:

Illinois’ Pathways to Community Living/MFP Program relies on a strong collaborative, inter-agency approach to the implementation of the program. The Department of Healthcare and Family Services serves as the lead agency for Pathways and partners with the Department on Aging, the Department of Human Services’ Division of Mental Health, Division of Rehabilitation Services, and Division of Developmental Disabilities, along with the Department of Housing Development Authority on the formation of policy and implementation issues related to MFP.

For additional details visit

Ramp Up Foundation: This foundation through United Cerebral Palsy can provide almost any type of home modification as long as it is related to accessibility.

For further information, please please call (312) 765 0419 EXT 11 or visit

Rebuilding TogetherRT*MC is part of a national nonprofit program which sponsors National Rebuilding Day across the country on the last Saturday in April. Every year we select a different Chicago neighborhood and south suburb in which to provide free home repair for elderly, disabled, or low-income individuals.


Townships and Villages:

Townships serving many local villages often times have a Disability Coordinator. On occasion, mini-grants are in place with funds available for home accessibility modifications.

DeKalb County: Elderly Care Services
330 Grove Street
DeKalb, IL 60115
Fax: 815.758.4239
DuPage County Human Services
Single Family Rehab Program

421 N. County Farm Road,
Wheaton, IL 60187
(630) 407-6500
This program is intended to assist low and moderate-income homeowners in maintaining the value of their homes. Services include replacing roofs, doors/windows, siding, furnaces and air conditioning. Assistance is also provided to fix electrical and plumbing problems. The program offers two types of loans, depending on income levels. Deferred loans are zero-interest loans, with no payments until the title is transferred. 3% interest loans have simple-interest payments scheduled over 10 years. Qualified homeowners may borrow up to $20,000.
DuPage County Human Services Senior Citizen Services
421 N. County Farm Road,
Wheaton, IL 60187
(630) 407-6500
Provides limited funding for minor home modifications to older adults, which will enhance their ability to function independently.
Lake County Rehabilitation Assistance Program
For information contact Housing Rehabilitation and Neighborhood Services at 847-546-8919, or contact the Lake County Housing Authority at 847-223-1170. Also, check Affordable Housing Corporation of Lake County at 847-263-7478.
This program is available to new or existing property owners in designated areas of the county. The program is aimed at eliminating potential health and safety hazards and improving the general condition of buildings in designed areas through the use of direct funds, counseling, and technical assistance.
McHenry County Housing Authority The County funds home rehabilitation programs as part of a home rehabilitation project. Information on Housing Authority rehabilitation program can be obtained at 815-338-7752.
Thornton Township Home Modification Program
Call (708) 596-6040
These mini-grants are used to purchase equipment that would improve one’s quality of life. Such equipment would include but is not limited to, the following: wheelchair ramps, special medical equipment, and minor home repairs. This equipment is often necessary to help improve the individual’s everyday living skills, accessibility, and independence in their homes.

Veterans Programs

EHLS has a long history of providing support for veterans. We work directly with the local VA hospitals and also can provide home modifications for the grant programs. The VA has three main grant programs to assist disabled veterans with necessary home modifications


Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH)

Veterans or service members who have specific service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a grant from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for the purpose of constructing an adapted home or modifying an existing home to meet their adaptive needs. The goal of the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant Program is to provide a barrier-free living environment that affords the veterans or service members a level of independent living he or she may not normally enjoy. The SAH grant is generally used to create a wheelchair accessible home and the grant is currently limited to $60,000.

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is available to veterans or service members who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to:

a The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities such as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.
b Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity.
c The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with
1. residuals of organic disease or injury, or
2. the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity.
d Item (1) and Item (2) above must so affect the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.
e The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude the use of the arms at or above the elbows.
f The permanent and total disability is due to a severe burn injury (as so determined).

You can apply for the SAH and SHA grants by completing VA Form 26-4555, Veterans Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant, and submitting it to your local VA regional office.

Special Home Adaptation Grant (SHA)Veterans who have specific service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a grant for the purpose of modifying an existing home to meet their adaptive needs. The Special Home Adaptations (SHA) grant is generally used to assist veterans with mobility throughout their homes. This grant is currently limited to $12,000.

The SHA grant is available to veterans who have a service-connected disability due to military service, entitling them to compensation for permanent and total disability due to:

li-icon Blindness in both eyes with 5/200 visual acuity or less or
li-icon The anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands or extremities below the elbow

You can apply for the SAH and SHA grants by completing VA Form 26-4555, Veterans Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant, and submitting it to your local VA regional office.

Home Improvement and Structural Alternations Grant (HISA)Under the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) program, veterans with service-connected disabilities or veterans with nonservice-connected disabilities may receive assistance for any home improvement necessary for the continuation of treatment or for disability access to the home and essential lavatory and sanitary facilities.

A HISA grant is available to veterans who have received a medical determination indicating that improvements and structural alterations are necessary or appropriate for the effective and economical treatment of his/her disability. A veteran may receive both a HISA grant and either a Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant or a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant. To apply for a HISA Grant, complete VA Form 10-0103 Veterans Application at


How Can You Learn More About These Veterans Administration Grants?For more information, please call (800) 827-1000 or visit or

Illinois Warrior Assistance Program:

The Illinois Warrior Assistance Program provides confidential assistance for Illinois Veterans as they transition back to their everyday lives after serving our country. Our health professionals are here to help.

Please visit


Loans / Tax Relief Programs

E-Z Access Loan Program:

This program offered by the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago targets two specific groups, including individuals with disabilities and businesses that are seeking to comply with requirements of the ADA. The Bank has funds to make loans available at reduced rates. Important features include their willingness to lend as little as $500 over a 12 month period (60 months for larger purchases). Their credit terms are relaxed, i.e., items not often included as income are for this program (social security benefits, disability checks, etc.)

For more information, visit


Federal Housing Administration (FHA)

Two loan guarantee programs from the Federal Housing Administration, Title 1 and 203K loans have loan size limits. The FHA programs can provide direct loans with below-market interest rates (to 1%), higher than normal debt ratio (to 1%), extended terms (to 33 years), low down payments or financed closing costs. These loans can be used for acquisition or rehabilitation. The 203K program will also loan up to 80% of the repaired value of the home, making it useful for a household that chooses to move and make accessibility improvements in the new home.

For details, call 312-866-2729.

Income Tax Deductions Many people can take advantage of income tax deductions under the federal tax code. To do so, the cost of the modifications must be treated as a medical deduction and be itemized and shown as an expense on federal tax form 1040 “Schedule A”. In order for home modifications or equipment to be treated as a tax deduction, they must be certified by a physician as being required for health reasons. For a renter, the cost of accessibility modifications becomes a deduction from taxable income. Homeowners can also deduct modifications cost from income but need to account for any increase in the value of the home. A written opinion from a competent real estate appraiser specifying how much and why the home’s value has increased is necessary and an experienced accountant should be contacted.

Plans for Achieving Self-Support (PASS)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) allows participants to set aside income for accessibility projects. Without jeopardizing benefits, it is an SSI provision to help individuals with disabilities return to work.

For more information, please visit 


Ready Access Program / Opportunity Illinois Program

The Treasurer’s Office and financial institutions work together to assist individuals with disabilities by providing capital to the borrower at a lower rate of interest. The Treasurer’s Office deposits state funds with participating financial institutions which then make low-interest Ready Access loans. The funds earn interest for taxpayers and are fully protected against loss.

Available through participating financial institutions. The maximum amount is $50,000. Available for up to 5 years at a fixed rate of interest that is below market rate. The Ready Access Program does not provide for medical services, pharmaceuticals, psychological services, therapy and/or therapeutic devices.

Illinois financial institutions wishing to participate in the Illinois Treasurer’s Ready Access Program should also contact the Treasurer’s Office. Illinoisans with disabilities use the Opportunity Illinois interest rate reduction to finance construction projects or purchase equipment that will help them achieve greater mobility and self-sufficiency.

For more information, please visit

Reverse Mortgage and Home Equity LoansThese alternative methods can be utilized to finance home modifications. A financial advisor can help determine which method is feasible. For more information, contact your financial advisor for advice.

Home Equity Loan

A home equity loan is a loan that is guaranteed by your home. They can have either fixed or adjustable interest rates. The interest paid is usually tax -deductible. They can be used for vehicle purchases, home improvement or freeing of equity for investment in other real estate or investments. Contact your financial adviser for advice.

Reverse Mortgage

A reverse mortgage is a special type of loan that enables a senior homeowner to borrow against the equity of your home and receive cash without selling the home, giving up the title or making monthly payments. Special features include:

No monthly payments
Money is tax-free
Does not interfere with Social Security Benefits, Medicare, or Medicaid payments
Remaining equity goes to heirs
Retain full ownership of your home
No mandatory repayment until you are no longer living in the home
You cannot outlive your loan
Use the money as you wish

This program is SAFE because it is guaranteed by the Federal Government – FHA.

This program is SMART because you can lower your monthly debt and increase your monthly retirement income.

The program is EASY because there are no income or credit qualifications.


TechConnect Low-Interest Loan Program

The TechConnect Low-Interest Loan Program has two parts:

1. The Assistive Technology Loan Program provides loans to Illinois residents with disabilities and/or their families on behalf of the person with a disability to purchase assistive technology devices, services, and home modifications.

2. The Telework Loan Program is restricted to Illinois residents with disabilities, 18 years and older. The loan can be used to purchase equipment, services, and home modifications for home-based employment. The equipment is not restricted to assistive technology devices.

For more information, please visit