Is a Scalamobil Right For You?
Is it Right for You? Most stair climbing problems can be solved with the Scalamobil. However, we want to make sure that the Scalamobil is the right solution for you. The questions listed below are important in determining if Scalamobil is suitable for your needs.
Questions for the Rider:
- Are you over 265 pounds? If so, the Scalamobil may not be for you.
- Are there are special needs devices mounted under your wheelchair? If so, you will need to consider the Scalachair X3 or the Scalachair X7.
- Do you have a power wheelchair?
- If you answered no to these three questions, the Scalamobil may be right for you. If not, you may need the X3 or X7 models or the ScalaMobil may not be right for you.
Questions for the Caregiver:
- Are you in good physical condition?
- Are you able to walk up the stairs backwards?
- Are you able to lift 20% of your own body weight?
- If you answered yes to these three questions – the Scalamobil may be right for you.
Questions for the Location of Use:
- Maximum step range on one charge is 300 steps. Will this limit be exceeded?
- What is the width of the staircase? Minimum distance needed is 3 feet.
- Is a landing(s) present? Minimum landing space for turning is 3 feet x 3 feet.
- What is the maximum step rise of any step to be climbed? Maximum step height allowed is 7.9″.
- What is the depth of the steps to be climbed? Minimum step depth allowed is 4.3″.
- Are the stairs in good condition? Check for deteriorating wood, crumbling cement, etc.
- Will this be used indoors? Outdoors? Scalamobil should only be operated on dry steps that are clear of any debris or hazards.