Chicago’s #1 Stair Lift and Stairway Chair Lift Installer
We encourage you to visit our stairlift showroom in Arlington Heights, Illinois!
- Extended Home Living Services (EHLS) has been the leading local stair lift dealer in the Chicago, IL area, including Northwest Indiana and Southeast Wisconsin for over 26 years
- Stair lifts, also known as chair lifts for stairs, or stairway lifts, provide a safe, easy, convenient and affordable way to get up and down the stairs for those with disabilities or limited mobility
- We are the only Diamond Bruno Stair Lift Dealer in Chicago, Illinois – Awarded to the top 3% of Bruno Dealers in the U.S.
- Whether your stairs are straight, curved, or have an intermediate landing, EHLS offers lifts that will free you from your stairway obstacles to keep you safe in the home you love
- EHLS carries outdoor stair lifts that are built to handle all four of Chicago’s weather seasons
- Aging and mobility obstacles are life events that are unavoidable, but with EHLS’ help, you will be able to stay and remain independent in the home you love
Let the EHLS family help your family stay safe and remain independent at home!
Why Choose a Stair Lift from EHLS?
- EHLS is a local, family-owned company that has been located in Chicago’s Northwest Suburbs since 1991 – Arlington Heights, IL
- We take the time to learn about your needs and situation and then recommend what we think is the best solution
- Local, fully-operational showroom in Arlington Heights, which gives you the opportunity to “try before you buy”
- We carry the market’s best stair lift manufacturers including Bruno, Handicare, and Hawle
- American made, durable, high-quality stair lifts that will keep you and/or your family safe in your home
- Thousands of satisfied customers in the local Chicago area – click here to view our stairlift customer reviews!
- The BIGGEST inventory of used and pre-owned stair lifts and we pass the savings along to you!
- Our very own factory trained technicians install and service all of the lifts we offer
Will A Stairlift Fit on my Staircase?
Yes, Stair Lifts Fit Most Staircases
- A staircase needs to be a minimum of 32″ wide to fit a stair lift. The track is mounted on the stair treads, not on the wall, and will extend out from the wall between 6 to 9 inches.
- The chair lift’s seat, arms, and footrest will fold up when the lift is not in use. Folded up, stairlifts will extend from 11 to 16 inches from the wall.
- The track on a straight or curved model does extend beyond the bottom of the staircase which, in some cases, can be a problem. A manual or electric folding rail will allow the track to fold up and out of the way when the lift is not in use.
Are Stair Lifts Safe to Use & Easy to Operate?
Yes, stairlifts are safe to use and easy operate. While there is some difference between makes and models, all of the lifts we install have simple controls and robust safety features. All stairlifts have a simple switch that controls their movement. The lift travels up or down the stairway when the rider pushes and holds the switch, which is located on the arm of the chair. The chair stops automatically when it reaches the end of the track at the top or bottom landing. If you release the switch at any point along the way the lift will stop immediately. All of the models we offer are also supplied with seat belts to keep the user safe while riding up and down the stairs. If you are uncomfortable with not knowing how to operate the lift before it’s installed, we highly recommend you visit our showroom!
Operating a Stairlift
- Remote Controls: There is a pair of remote controls that allow a user to call or send the chair from the top or bottom of the stairs. The controls are a convenient way for a caregiver to control the seat’s motion if the rider needs assistance. The remote control also allows users to use the lift as a dumbwaiter by placing packages or a clothes basket on the seat and using the remote to send them up or down.
- Seat Controls: Pictured above are some of our Chicago area local customers riding a high-quality Bruno stair lift – both curved and straight rail models. It is hard to see in the pictures, but there is a black switch at the end of the right armrest that controls the lift. Rock the switch one way and the seat will travel up the stairs. Rock it the opposite way and the chair will head for the lower landing.
- Swivel Away from the Top of the Stairs: To safely get off of the lift at the top landing, the user must swivel the seat at the top of the stairs. When a user reaches the top of the staircase, the seat swivels away from the stairs, while the footrest remains in place. The swiveling action places the rider’s feet safely on the top landing, which allows the rider to stand safely. A power swivel seat option is available for those who are physically unable to swivel manually.
Types of Stair Lifts Available for the Chicago, Illinois Area
EHLS can install the following types of stair lifts in a home, church, school, and other buildings:
- Straight Stair Lifts: Since most staircases in the Chicago area homes are straight, a straight rail stair lift is often the quickest and easiest solution. We keep a stock of these models in our warehouse, which allows us to install the lift within a few days after the purchase. The standardized rails can be cut to match the exact length of your staircase.
- Curved Stair Lifts: Curved rail models are custom made to accommodate staircases that have curves, turns, or immediate landings. One of our stair lift experts will come out to your home to take pictures of your staircase so that our manufacturer can build the rail to match the exact specifications of the staircase in your home or building.
Cost of a Stairlift
The price of a stair lift is determined by a number of different factors such as the configuration and length of the staircase, type of stairlift, and added options. So, unfortunately, it is very difficult to provide an accurate price without learning about the specific needs and mobility of the person who is going to be using the lift. To get a free, accurate quote, please call us @ 847-215-9490
See It Before You Buy It!
- EHLS has a showroom in Arlington Heights, Illinois that is equipped with five fully operational stair lifts – one curved rail lift and four straight rail lifts
- Seeing a lift in person and being able to ride one can help you make a more educated decision
- You can compare and evaluate the different models and brands that you may be deciding between
- Our showroom gives you the ability to learn how a lift works, and feel how it rides before it is installed in your home
Benefits of Adding a Stair Lift to Your Chicago Area Home
- Stay Safe in the Home You Love & Regain Your Independence: No more sleeping downstairs or being unable to get down to the laundry room in the basement. Your independence can be restored with a stairlift, as it will provide safe and easy access to all levels of the home that you have grown to know and love. Family members will also be at ease knowing that you have a safe and easy way to get up and down the stairs.
- Keeps You Safe: Getting up and down the stairs for those with limited mobility can be dangerous. Tripping or missing a step on a staircase in your home can result in a severe injury. A stair lift will remove the risk of injury from climbing the stairs and allow you to access all levels of your home safely.
- Family Can Still Use the Stairs: Many people believe that a stair lift can take up too much room on the stairs. However, the seat and footrest can be folded up when not in use, allowing plenty space for family and friends to use the stairs. You may also add a manual or power folding rail if you feel that the rail could be a trip hazard in your home.
Curved Stairlift vs. Two Straight Stair Lifts
We often come across customers who are considering installing two straight lifts instead of a curved lift for a staircase with a 90-degree turn at a landing. While two straight stairlifts are less expensive, the landing must be large enough to accommodate the rider and caregiver, if needed. One of our knowledgeable and friendly sales professionals will take measurements and recommend the best solution for your specific needs!
CALL EHLS TODAY FOR ALL OF YOUR STAIRLIFT NEEDS!
EHLS Stair Lifts
- Largest Stair Lift Dealer in Chicagoland
- Professionally certified technicians for service and installations
- Friendly, knowledgeable, and local staff
- A company track record of excellence and longevity
- Licensed and Insured
- Lifetime Warranty on major components
- Made in U.S.A.